For a bit of savings on apparel, footwear and school supplies, Florida offers a tax-free shopping weekend in which eligible items are exempt from the usual 6 percent sales tax.
The tax-free weekend is August 7-9, and sales tax is waived on items that could be used by students.
Eligible merchandise includes:
- Select school supplies $15 or less per item. Examples of tax-exempt items include lunch boxes, legal pads and pens.
- Clothing, footwear and some accessories $60 or less per item. Examples of tax-exempt accessories include purses, wallets and ties.
- The first $1000 on personal computers and certain accessories
The following items are excluded:
- Books that are not otherwise exempt;
- Rentals or leases of any eligible items
- Repairs or alterations of any eligible items
- Sales of any eligible items in a theme park, entertainment complex, public lodging establishment, or airport
For more information and a list of qualifying items, please review the Department of Revenue’s Tax Information Publication (TIP) on the 2020 Back-to-School Sales Tax Holiday, as well as the FAQ’s.